Health and Safety
Before undertaking any activity we recommend you carry out an appropriate risk assessment. The HSE website contains information on '5 steps to Risk Assessment'.
Here are some tips when carrying out fieldwork:
- If completing outdoor activities on your own, always ensure somebody knows where you are going, and when you will be back
- Be aware of the weather conditions, do not carry out activities near trees in high winds
- Carry a charged mobile phone and map of the local area
- Wear suitable clothing and footwear for the weather
- Wash your hands after completion of outdoor activities
If you are carrying out one of the online learning modules we recommend:
- Take regular breaks when working for long periods of time on a computer
The FSC provides Guidance for Teachers and Governors on FSC Operating Codes of Practice – Out of Classroom Risk Assessments (P01) containg risk assessment information for FSC groups undertaking fieldwork. This may be of use when completing your own risk assessments.